Sunday 31 August 2008

Saturday morning ramblings...

Saturday morning, sitting listening to Elbow. It's half past seven in the morning and once again my internal body clock woke me up ridiculously early. I've already had breakfast and although my eyes tell me I need to sleep some more I think it's unlikely that I will be able to. This is all particularly annoying as I didn't get to bed till about midnight last night...so really could do with more than six hours sleep!

Last night was great! It actually started at about four in the afternoon, with after school 'Happy Hour' drinks at my boss Daryl's house. I wasn't too sure about going, but had a really great time. I chatted with quite a few other people in the school. For example, Monica (the school psychologist) and her husband Mario, who is a musician, so we obviously found a lot to talk about! Hopefully there may be some possibilities of jamming with him in the future!

I also spoke more to Jim (secondary English teacher), he's from Bury St Edmunds! Which kind of surprised me when I first met him, but not entirely. We are all connected somehow! He was at the party with his girlfriend Amber and her daughter. They met at Easter and she has now moved in with him in Ecuador – a whirlwind romance! I had already decided that he seemed to be a fairly like minded person on the partying front so I have given him the task of choosing somewhere excellent in Quito for my birthday! I also discovered that he used to go to Planet Yes parties, so a little reminiscing took place! I'm fairly sure we probably know some of the same people, but haven't got that far yet. It is lovely though, to have a connection to home, someone who actually knows where the places are that you talk about.

I chatted to Justin's wife Christine quite a bit. Justin is my immediate boss, as he is the Primary Coordinator. I really like both of them, they are really down to earth New Zealanders. Chrissy and I had an entertaining chat about the size of male mannequin's appendages in Ecuador...they are really huge! I am amused by it everyday when I go past shop windows on the bus. Not only was it hilariously funny to talk to Chrissy, but she also told me that Justin has told her how impressed he has been by me already – it's great to be appreciated!

I also met the British Ambassador and her husband. How exciting you might be thinking. Well, no not really. She is short and fat with no dress sense or real presence. He had the face of a heavy drinker, complete with bulbous nose and was wearing a fishing hat (complete with all the daft badges!). I am all for eccentric English people, god knows I know enough of them, but I didn't really feel that they represented the best of British! I guess it's another one of those preconceptions - the idea of an ambassador is of someone glamorous and engaging. Our lady in Ecuador was definitely the opposite of that! Although apparently we do sometimes get invited to the ambassador's house, which is a good excuse for a posh frock, but I'm not sure I would accept her ferrero roche!

After Daryl's, quite a few of us moved on up the road to Alex's. There were about thirteen of us in total and it was great! I made a fire, which later Justin turned into a raging inferno. Men and fires, what can I say? Brings out the caveman instinct in them I think!

Alex has a random mix of music on her laptop, some good and some seriously cheesy! However when 'You've got a friend' came on, I had to sing it at the top of my voice in remembrance of Ted ( I sang it at his funeral, for those of you who don't know). I even got a compliment from Justin...ok, imagine the New Zealand twang, 'Geez Fiona, you've actually got quite a good voice.'

Me and the girlies, had lots of fun singing and dancing around Alex's sitting room. It was really good to see everybody letting their hair down and having fun. Good to get to know people away from school.

Eventually, there was just Alex, Sarah and me left. These two girlies are stars! I really like both of them.

At about quarter to eleven, exhaustion suddenly hit and I rang the marvellous Jorge to take me and Sarah home. He is great because he speaks some English and has taken people from the British School home on many an occasion.

Ooh, just need to quote Elbow, as it seems very appropriate:

'...it's looking like a beautiful day...'

It certainly is, the sun is shining and it's Saturday. I'm glad it's sunny, yesterday was quite overcast and a bit chilly at times – although that did mean I got to wear my beautiful red coat for the first time!!

'...throw those curtains wide, one day like this a year will see me right...'

Okay Elbow, I will!

I love Elbow, they're brilliant. I'm so glad I got to see them at Latitude. What a brilliant weekend that was!


A note about how I'm feeling...

Well, I have good days most of the time. I wake up in the morning and look at the amazing view of mountains from my window and it's stunning. Standing on my roof terrace looking across the valley is also incredible, especially at night time, seeing all the lights of Cumbaya. I am incredibly fortunate to be here in Ecuador and I certainly intend to make the most of this opportunity. It is evenings which are more difficult, feeling tired and lonely, wanting to talk to people back in England. I'm sure that this will get easier, especially once I have internet access at home. I keep having to remind myself that I have only been here for a few weeks and that things will take time.

It's not easy to move to another country, there are huge emotional highs and lows. The excitement of being somewhere new, learning everyday, so many places to see and then the difficulties of not being able to communicate properly, not knowing how to sort things out or where to go.

I do feel incredibly positive most of the time though, especially about school. Talking with Alex and Sarah last night, we all felt that the school has been waiting for the new teachers in primary for sometime. There were obviously difficulties last year. But this year there is a really strong team of positive and enthusiastic people who are passionate about what they do. We all come from different teaching backgrounds and have different ideas, but we all want to learn from each other and work together to make this primary school something really amazing. I feel we really will be able to make a difference and not just to the kids.

A note about the kids...

I really like my class already, year six boys are very funny and full of character. They think they are so cool and don't really want to let on if they like something because that would be decidedly uncool. Yesterday in assembly, all the primary kids were asked if they'd enjoyed their first two days back at school. There was a sea of arms in the air! In year six, all the girl's hands went straight up, no problem. The boys all sat there. However after some gentle prompting from yours truly (coughing and gesturing for their hands to go up), they all went up too. Ha! Control established!

I think the boys have been quite surprised to find that they won't get away with anything. The girls are easy, but I do like the challenge of the boys.

One of the best moments in school yesterday was when I started reading 'Goodnight Mr Tom'. I love to read to kids and they were a very attentive audience. One of the boys even asked for more of the story later on!

The ability range in the class is huge and it's going to be hard to get these kids up to standard. But again, it's a challenge and it seems that I quite like those really.

A note about hamsters...

I have inherited a hamster. Last year my kids had two hamsters as class pets. Unfortunately only one survived the summer living with the guards (there is suspicion that the other one was eaten!). Yesterday a group of very excited boys brought Chubby (or is it Humphrey – we're not entirely sure), to the classroom. I was highly amused by all of this and really don't mind at all...Chubby/Humph is really quite cute and being a hamster, obviously doesn't really do much during the day. He is also going to be a very useful way of bribing the kids!

No comments: