Monday 25 August 2008

Buying a guitar...Ecuadorian style!

Sunday 24th August...

As I had to leave my guitar with Mum and Dad when I left Heathrow, I have been on the look out for a new guitar since arriving in Ecuador. Last Monday, Sarah and I spotted a guitar shop in Ventura Mall (not too far from school), there were some very pretty guitars and I decided that I would return at the weekend.

I went back today after a lovely Sunday lunch at Roy & Kay's. When I entered the shop, I saw that the whole family were there...and Dad was singing over a microphone! The lad I spoke to on Monday recognised me, and I started to have a look at the guitars. I chatted to the three sons and Mum very kindly brought me a stool to sit, on so that I could try the guitars out. The first one didn't feel quite right and was a little small, so they brought over the rather lovely electro-acoustic I had been admiring on Monday. I began to play Tracy Chapman, 'Baby Can I Hold You Tonight', one of the few songs I can actually play and sing. I thought, sod it, I'm gonna sing it too! Before I knew it, there was a microphone in front of my face and they had plugged the guitar in...I was amplified for all to hear! Obviously I hated that...NOT! It was lovely, I laughed, sang and played my way through the song. The whole family were very complimentary of my singing and so I asked how much the guitar was...they gave the price, but one of the sons said that if I sang another song they'd drop the price by 10%. So I sang 'Summertime', Dad accompanied me on the guitar and one of the sons played the drums!

Embarrassingly, I didn't have quite enough cash for the guitar and case, so I went to the cash machine to get some more and bloody couldn't! I think Barclays may have put a hold on my card...grrr! However these lovely people said not to worry, I could pay the remaining $25 tomorrow. Furthermore, if I ever want to go and sing there again, I am most welcome.




I have met quite a few Ecuadorian people now, both in and out of school, and they have all been really warm towards me and kind. Luckily they seem not to mind my very small quantity of Spanish. I am trying, and already know a few phrases that are useful when shopping!! Also numbers are coming on, but I still don't always understand because they speak very quickly and my brain has trouble processing. I am determined though and should start lessons in the next week or so.


No comments: