Wednesday 20 August 2008

Gas & Classroom sagas!

Well...I found out on Monday that I'm having a smaller classroom because I'll only have 14 kids in my class...I don't mind this at all because it means I've got a data projector - woohoo! The downside was that I had to move all the secondary stuff out of the classroom before I can put my stuff in there. I managed that yesterday, so today I'm going to organise the layout so it feels like a primary rather than a secondary classroom. Unfortunately the teacher who normally has this class doesn't know we are swapping and that she's losing the data projector...I hope this doesn't cause issues.

Once the furniture is moved I need to go through the resources in the original class and move them into here. There is some ancient stuff that definitely needs to be got rid of! Also they are still using the National Literacy/Numeracy strategies, whereas I have been using the new frameworks on and off for the past two years. They are quite different.

The gas saga...

I ran out of gas yesterday, so lovely Claire came over and rang up the local gas people - Prontogas. They said they'd be about half an hour. I waited...and waited...and waited. By 7.00pm I thought this really goes beyond even Ecuador timing and rang Claire back. She got hold of them and they said that the guards at my gate wouldn't let them through. She rang them again this morning, and I went up to the guards to tell them 'Prontogas biene para mir'.

A little while later the guy arrived - hooray I thought...hot water and a cup of tea! I showed him where the gas cylinder was and he told me all sorts of things which unfortunately I couldn't understand. Luckily Segunda (lovely old man who looks after the building), was about and came to talk to him. I think the problem was the connector...it's not right for prontogas.

So...I've left some money with Segunda and I'm hoping that there'll be gas when I get home. I really need a bath...getting very dirty sorting the classroom!

No comments: