Monday 18 August 2008

Best day so far!

I got up early on Saturday morning to go out on a family adventure with all the other new staff, Claire and Sophie.

From the bus we saw amazing views across the countryside and of the mountains.

Our first stop was at the equator...

I have now straddled the equator! One foot in the southern and one on the northern hemisphere. We took some amusing pics of each other and admired the scenery!

We continued on to Cayambe, where we saw bizcochos (a buttery, savoury biscuit – traditionally served with cheese) being made! The bizcochos were yum, even without the cheese!

Outside the bizcocho factory, there were old people begging...so we gave them some food and money so that we could take their photo. I am finding the faces of the Ecuadorian people – both young and old – fascinating. There were many stories behind the eyes of this pair.

Our next stop was Otavalo, for the famous craft market...photography and shopping heaven!! I wandered about with Sophie and Jeanne...Sophie speaks fluent Spanish, so is very useful when it comes to haggling on prices! I was very chuffed with myself, coz I did manage to ask a few questions...although I didn't always understand the answers. (Note to self...must learn numbers!)

I bought three beautiful paintings for my new home; a pair of earrings; two mugs; a throw; a really colourful small bag; a purse and a really lovely jumper. All of this came to just over $100. (Excellent shopping therapy!)

Unfortunately I also had a touch of altitude sickness...but after food and water felt a lot better. It was a kind of weird, floaty, queasy feeling.

The adventure continued on to Cuicocha Lake...a lake in the crater of a volcano!!!! A few of us went on a boat ride...it was incredible...a real awe and wonder time for me – I never thought I'd actually be in the crater of a volcano. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. I kept feeling like pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! I have to admit I did wonder if perhaps there was a secret hideaway under the lake – ala James Bond!

The lake is 9km in length and has two islands. The lake was created when there was an eruption several thousand years ago...the peak of the volcano fell in, creating the lake. There was another eruption which then created the islands. The lake is very important to indigenous people, and the channel between the two islands is called 'The channel of enchantment'. Well, I was certainly enchanted, it was magical! It is an active crater, which means you could see bubbles of gas coming up to the surface of the water! Cool!!!!

We had one last stop on the way home, in a village called Cotacachi. Cotacachi is famous for it's leather goods – there is one street literally lined with shops selling beautiful leather clothes, bags, boots, etc.


We only had half an hour here because we were running a little late and our bus driver had to get back, so didn't manage to get into many shops. However, I did spy a beautiful red, suede coat in the window of one...I had to try it on...it fitted perfectly. Well I had to buy it! Sophie and Claire helped negotiate the price a little...and there I was feeling fabulous in a beautiful new coat which cost £60 ($120).

Well I figured my settling in allowance was meant to be used for retail therapy...I still have more than half of it left....hmm, where to go next?!

I finished the journey home in a taxi...the driver and I attempted a conversation, it consisted of me saying I only knew a little Spanish...he replied that he didn't know any English...he thought we may have a problem! He was very sweet though and made sure I had got to the front door of my apartment block before leaving.



No comments: