Monday 8 September 2008

Saturday night blues…


It’s 9pm Saturday night and I’m at home. I’m feeling bored. I know I have things that I could do, like play my guitar, write lesson plans, watch a film on my laptop, but none of them seem to appeal. I want to be chatting with friends really. I’m tired because I was awake by half past 6, but it’s Saturday night and I want to do something.

I shouldn’t really complain because I have had a great day really. Tom and Nicki gave me a lift to school for the ‘Welcome Back Picnic’. However, before going into school I went to Sarah’s to give her a birthday pressie and to have a cuppa. (Sarah lives about 2 minutes away from school, which is very useful, especially for cups of tea after school!) I really like Sarah and was really glad that she liked the pressie I got her.

Once we got to school, I said hello to a few people and then went and hid in my classroom to skype Pete. It is so lovely to be able to talk to him and see him too. He made me laugh a lot!

Outside the sun was shining and I rediscovered Sarah. We chatted with different people – staff, some children and parents. I felt I did particularly well because I didn’t actually see any of my parents, just a couple of kids!

I had a real urge to go to Quito today, but no-one else was up for it and I wanted to spend the day with Sarah. We went back to hers at about 2ish, with Alex and Jeanne, drank tea and coffee and had lots of teaching talk. I know we need to do this, I know I’m learning things from the others, and I know I’ve got things relatively easy with my class…BUT IT’S SATURDAY!!!! I think I may have to enforce a ban.

Eventually we decided to go to Cumbaya to get some food. I suggested La Esquina. When we got in the car, Alex asked if anyone else wanted to drive. I can’t remember my exact reply, but it went along the lines of, ‘Hell yes!’

It felt so good to drive, I’ve never driven on the other side of the road, but once you get used to changing gear with your right hand it’s fine! I’ve missed driving. I know if I did have a car I’d just go and explore some more. I live off the road that leads to San Juan, I’ve no idea what or where San Juan is, but if I had a car, I’d go and find out. But I also know that I can’t afford a car, they are so expensive to buy here, although the running costs are very cheap.

We had a fantastic meal, Claire joined us too. We laughed a lot, ate good food, etc, etc. Poor Jeanne has been quite shocked by some of our conversations today, which have included tampons and toilet habits. She certainly wasn’t impressed by our suggestion that the waiter went home with her!

I got a few groceries on the way home, got back here just after 8pm. Feels weird coming back and being on my own on a Saturday night.

I may well go out with Claire, Ben, Roy and Kay for a 10km walk tomorrow, ending at a restaurant for lunch. I’ll probably go mad if I stay in. They’ll find me rocking in a corner, staring out of the windows. Even if I don’t do that I definitely have to walk round here some more.

I am determined to go out next Saturday night. Sarah and I have talked about spending the night somewhere in Quito, so we can really make a night of it and explore the next day. That’s what I want to do. I might even book somewhere on Monday. I really want to have a good weekend because it’ll feel really strange not being anywhere near Pete, my family or my friends on my birthday.

Hmm, coming up for another birthday, it makes me think back to the previous two and how my life has changed in this last two years. Definitely for the better, I wouldn’t be here otherwise; wouldn’t have met Pete or realised how much I am really capable of. But it hasn’t been an easy journey, not all of the time. Parts of it have hurt like hell, and some parts still do.

So here I am, feeling a bit sad, a bit lonely and a bit lost. Raking through memories – not the best way to spend a Saturday night.

No comments: