Friday 19 September 2008

'Chubby & his bids for freedom!'

Chubby is our class pet; he is a rather large and mostly lazy hamster! However in the first week of term, Chubby managed to escape from his cage, causing the kids and me large amounts of worry until we rediscovered him hiding beside the filing cabinet.

Over this week the kids have been pestering me to put Chubby into the ball type thing that was bought for him on Monday (by one of the boys - Esteban). Most of the time I have declined, knowing how much distraction Chubby can cause.

However today is Friday and I thought I'd give in today (all helps with the cool teacher image!). We placed Chubby in his ball and all laughed as he wandered about the classroom bumping in to things (in rather the same way as I laughed at Justin this morning when he walked into a post. Actually there are quite a few similarities between the two, now I come to think about it!).

Suddenly he was making a break for the open door...a large orange ball containing a hamster in a bid for freedom. We were quite surprised to see how quickly he can actually move, as in true hamster like fashion he usually sleeps and eats during the day. In absolute hysterics we rushed out of the door to see where he would go, disrupting the secondary Spanish class as we went. Chubby would have been away - an orange ball heading into the distance...except he started to nibble the grass. I told him he had been very naughty and that he had to go back to class.

Maria (the lovely Spanish teacher net door) was most impressed as Chubby seemed to listen and turned around.

We think Chubby has now developed a taste for freedom...we will be watching him like a hawk and I will report back at some point on the further adventures of 'Chubby the Hamster'.

No comments: