Friday 19 December 2008

The holiday begins...

The last kid was picked up just after 1pm and my holiday officially began.

We had a big Christmas lunch with all the staff at school...lunches were given out in alphabetical order...so I was one of the last to get mine. I wasn't too bothered it gave time for the pannetone and other munchies to go down a little. If I'm absolutely honest I was quite full already...but somehow I managed to squeeze in some more. I soon had the full up and sleepy feeling!

We received our last secret Santa present too - handed out by Santa (Justin - looking hilarious) and his two little pixie helpers (Paul and Tom). I got a beautiful pendant and discovered that my secret Santa was Natalia.

Natalia is great - she's the science technician in Secondary. She's helping me with my Spanish...by chatting with me on facebook - it's much easier that way, I have time to use my dictionary!

I have been secret Santa to Jim, which has been really funny. Unfortunately he guessed it was me last Friday when I put an aubergine in his pigeon hole (Jim is allergic to aubergine). I had planned to be out of the staffroom before he arrived but didn't quite manage it and couldn't contain my hysterics as he commented, 'Hmmm something I'm allergic too!' Apart from the aubergine I have given him:
  • a cd with all the songs containing wild in the title apart from one which was a Kim Wilde number (Jim's surname is Wild)
  • a note of apology because secret Santa forgot on Monday
  • a blow up dinosaur
  • a toy dinosaur that squeaks
  • a Spiderman pencil tin
  • Batman stationery (Jim loves Batman and was most chuffed to receive this today!)
After the Santa shennanigans, people started to depart. There were lots of goodbyes and then I headed off to my classroom to pack my stuff up before coming home.

Once home I had long chats with my Mum and Dad. Whilst chatting to them it struck me that usually at the end of term I'd head off to the Barrel to catch up with everyone. It's felt quite weird to not be going out to meet friends - I have got lots of friends here but they're all connected to school. Going to the pub is part of the ritual that starts the holidays for me.

Feeling quite chilled I started to look at where I might stay in Buenos Aires on Monday night. The friends I'm meeting don't arrive until Tuesday and had forgotten I'd be there a day earlier when they booked our hostel. So I have decided to treat myself to a night of luxury somewhere.

Suddenly, I got a text on my mobile from Claire, it read, 'She's fucking cancelled my ticket! Ben's is fine but mine has been refunded. They're saying it's too late to buy another. Fuck fuck.'

To explain this situation: One of the girls who left borrowed money from Claire to buy her car, buying flight tickets paid back some of the loan (the rest was done by transfer). However 'the girl' obviously changed her flight ticket and by error, ignorance or just downright wickedness cancelled Claire's flight too. Whatever the reason it demonstrates the utter stupidity and selfishness of the person involved.

I have been in contact with Claire on and off all evening. She managed to get a ticket as far as Madrid (the same as Ben's, with a connection in Bogata). However, they have missed the connection in Bogata and are now in a hotel for the night. This means that neither of them will be able to meet her parents tomorrow or her friend's on Sunday. They are considering coming back to Ecuador.

It is so unfair because Claire has been so excited about going home - it's her first Christmas there for 6 years. Also Claire is the sweetest, loveliest, kindest person - she helped these 3 witches out so much. She does not deserve this.

I'm not sure what to do to help - I'd like to ring the bitch up and give her an earful. Or maybe explain to her parents exactly what they're darling daughter has done.

No comments: