Saturday 10 January 2009

Time to catch up...

As you can probably tell from the lack of postings over the last week or so...I have been having an amazing time. However now I'm back at home and it's time to catch up on what I've been doing.

So, last time I wrote it was New Year's Day and I was all happy, optimistic and excited about being taken out that evening.

The evening went very well. Unfortunately we didn't get a curry because the place was closed (as were a lot of places on New Year's Day), but I did get an amazing tour of the city and learnt more of the history of some of it. Eventually we found a lovely place where they made fresh pasta. It was a lovely evening of good company and good food.

Friday 2nd Jan:

I went off on my own for a while and went shopping in Palermo. I felt I needed a bit of me time and I bought a fabulous new skirt! I enjoyed wandering around Palermo's tree lined streets and people watching.

When I got back to the hostel lots of people were outside on the street, watching the Dakar Rally go past. I watched a bit and took a few photographs, but to be honest I wasn't really that interested.

I attempted an earlyish night but found it difficult to sleep...eventually made it at about 3am.

Saturday 3rd Jan:

A bit of a strange morning...Claire (lovely scouse girl) and I left the hostel to go to see Maria and Sanne who were having their hair done. About five metres away from the hostel there were two guys who appeared to be eyeing us up. Incredibly quickly one of the guys got on a motorbike and the other snatched Claire's bag and then also got on the bike. I was shocked, it really shook me up, I didn't know what to do. Claire shouted at the guy but he was quite threatening and they took off on the bike. We went back into Milhouse and I was shaking considerably. Freddi (lovely guy who works there) gave us big hugs and poured us both a beer.

It was a really strange feeling, I think I was more shaken than Claire was.

Later on we were trying to decide what to do. I had had various plans to go to other parts of Argentina but was having so much fun in BA that I hadn't actually left. Some of the girls wanted to go to Uruguay to go to the beach, but I wasn't sure. Having had such a lovely time on New Year's Day I wasn't sure whether to stay and spend some more time with the guy. I decided the only thing to do was to be brave and find out...so I went to talk to him. It was awkward because he was working and he intimated that he thought I should go to the beach.

I was a bit gutted. Actually I was quite a lot gutted and had a weird afternoon of questioning myself. Although I did have fun too as a big group of us went out for lunch because it was Skip's birthday. We indulged in some afternoon drinking and didn't get back home till about 9pm.

I also had a tarot reading which was very strange as I couldn't understand most of it, but also it felt like the right thing to do. I can't explain it really.

Back at Milhouse we sat around with a group of people and continued the drinking. After a while a certain person came up and asked if he could have a word. We chatted and I discovered that I hadn't been given the brush off, more that he hadn't wanted me to spend my last few days hanging around waiting for him to finish work. I explained that I am not the kind of girl to just sit around waiting! I was glad to have had the conversation, but kept to my decision of going to the beach...although they were quite a few occasions when I wished I hadn't, it was probably for the best.

We all got changed to go out and then sat around...I got very bored waiting for people to decide what we were doing and in the end decided to do something about it. We headed back to Palermo with recommendations of a place for dancing from Max.

Palermo was fun and then we went to the Crobar. I didn't really like this club, it was too hot and I couldn't get into the music enough. At about 5.30am I decided I was too drunk and got in a taxi to go home.

Sunday 4th Jan:

We were meant to check out at 11am. I woke up at 9.30am because there was an alarm going off in our dorm. Everyone else was comatose! I had a bad hangover and decided to see if breakfast would help.

At 10.30am my mood was getting increasingly bad as I tried to wake Sarah up. However we did manage to check out on time and then sat downstairs in the bar. I know there was one occasion when I said, 'Look if we don't sort something out soon, then I'm bloody staying here!'

Eventually we headed off to the ferry port. I was still in two minds about going and it did turn out to be an expensive trip for 2 days away, but nevermind it was fun too.

We finally arrived at our destination of Punta Del Este late on Sunday night and eventually found a hostel.

Monday 5th Jan:

The day was spent chilling on the beach; cooking some food for the girlies; ringing Mum and Dad purely for the amusement factor of saying, 'Oh by the way, I'm in Uruguay!'

In the evening we went a wandering and found a load of local lads playing guitar down by the harbour. Well I had been missing my guitar somewhat so I asked if I could have a go. We all sat down and jammed and sang for over an hour - it was lovely and made me decide that it had been worth going to the beach.

Back at the hostel we met some more lovely people who had just finished cooking an amazing seafood risotto, mussels and fish...they invited us to join them, so we did.

Tuesday 6th Jan:

We got up and were fed breakfast by the lovely Luis, who fed us the night before. Then we headed to the bus station to sort out our return to BA. This took ages and we ended up with only a couple of hour to spend on the beach. Luckily we hired an umbrella and I actually enjoyed sleeping in the shade for a while.

At about 4pm I headed back to get sorted and also to check my emails. I'd let someone know that I would be back that night...there was a reply saying that he might be able to pick me up. I was chuffed to pieces and the time it took to get back to BA couldn't go quickly enough!

The ferry ride was fun because we met up with Clare and Adam who had been staying in BA with us and another guy joined us who Maria had been talking to on the bus.

Back in BA I looked for the guy but he wasn't there. I rang him and woke him up, told him I'd see him tomorrow.

Feeling gutted (again!) we headed to Ian and Tom's apartment. On arriving we were greeted (at 1am), by amazing food, a bottle of bubbly and a really warm welcome. I very quickly cheered up as we sat in the hot tub on Tom's roof terrace drinking cocktails! I even ate chicken because it looked so good and had been marinating...it was fantastic!

I was also really excited about the possibility of sleeping outside. I have been so hot sleeping inside and also sharing dorm rooms you have to have some sort of clothing on! I lay outside looking at the sky and feeling so happy. Thinking about the guy a bit and feeling highly amused about what I woudl tell him about my night. Also sang a bit and just felt so good about my time in BA.

Whilst outside Sarah came to check on me a couple of times...bless! She wanted to put blankets and stuff over me. I explained how happy I was and that I was fine. I have watched her looking out for people and caring for them the whole time we've been together...I explained I didn't need her to do it for me so she should just be quiet and have a big hug!

Unfortunately after a while I became very aware of the fumes and pollution in the city and had to make my way back inside.

Wed 8th Jan:

Checking my emails there was an apology about the previous night. I was very happy to put not to worry, I had a great night!

Maria and Sarah headed off to the airport, Maria had a flight to Patagonia and Sarah was going to see if she could get one. They dropped me off at Milhouse and we said our goodbyes.

Walking in to Milhouse was great, I got greeted fondly by the staff! It was lovely! I'd missed them all. The guy was there and we had a chat and arranged details for that evening.

I had a shower and when I came out found that Sarah was there, she hadn't managed to get a flight and was trying to decide what to do. We chatted for a bit; made some lunch and then I crashed out on the sofa while she went to make calls and use the internet.

In the evening I headed off with the guy and had another lovely night and a beautiful Thai meal.

Thurs 9th Jan:

Got in a taxi at 8.30am and spent the day travelling home again. It felt quite strange to be travelling home to Ecuador.

Back at home about 10pm I had a 2 hour catch up with Amber! I've missed my sweet little American friend. We had lot to talk about!

No comments: