Thursday 15 January 2009

Fuckwit!

That's what I am! I am sitting here with my foot in plaster because I sprained it in the comfort of my own home last night!

I guess you want the full story...

Well, I was sitting on my sofa wasting time on the internet, as is my want, for quite a long time. I had my right foot tucked up underneath me - think I inherited this sitting habit from one of my grandma's. I stood up to go and get ready to meet my friend Fritha and hadn't realised that my foot had gone completely dead. It kind of buckled and twisted in a weird way and hurt lots! I decided I could walk and still went out. (Had a lovely time with Fritha)

When I got home I checked out the damage and saw that it was very swollen...so I though best apply something cold. Mum always used to have frozen peas to hand for this kind of occasion, but unfortunately I had none, so I placed a cold can of beer against it for a bit, then bandaged it up and went to bed.

This morning I thought I ought to get the school nurse to check it out. She decided I needed to get an x-ray and took me off to the hospital.

At the hospital it was all a bit weird - Alex (school nurse) is lovely and we get on brilliantly, with my minimal Spanish and her minimal English, but it meant I didn't really understand what was going on. I was whisked off for an x-ray, where I was told it wasn't broken, but was quite damaged and I have to be in plaster for 10 days. I've never had a plaster cast before so y'know something else to cross off the list of things I haven't done before.

Back at school reactions varied from kindness and sympathy, to outright hilarity at what I've managed to do to myself. Luckily I have a good sense of humour, which has got me through the day. However I have felt like a twat and am really quite annoyed with myself.

On a different note, I am off to Bańos tomorrow with Claire. I'm really looking forward to it - although it won't be quite the same as if I hadn't buggered my foot. However it is in keeping with my New Year's resolution to see more places.

Lastly...being back at school, well it's alright. I'm missing the people I met in Buenos Aires a lot, but I am getting back into the swing of things here. I really can't complain about life here, I've got it good!

No comments: