Sunday 25 January 2009

Been a while...

Since I last wrote. School is very busy at the moment; plans to write; tests to mark; reports to start.

I had a great meeting with Justin last week, we were discussing my targets for this year and having a general chat about work. He was really complimentary about how well I'm doing in the school - it's so lovely to be working somewhere and actually know that you are being appreciated.

Also been quite busy socially, was out at the pub quiz on Wednesday; sushi with Adriana and Mike on Thurs (two of the new teachers); listened to jazz on Friday and then on Saturday had five people here for dinner.

Dinner was lovely - it's the first time I've had people over properly, rather than Lani staying after a Spanish lesson. I made lasagna - safe option - I always know it'll work!! Adriana, Mike, Lani, Nathan and Paul (two students on teaching placements in secondary), came round. We had a lot of fun and laughed lots. The original plan had been to go up to Quito for drinks, but we ended up staying here and watched some hilarious vids on youtube...Adriana has been educating me!! I highly recommend Ricky Gervais' - Gay animals - absolutely hilarious!! We also indulged in a few episodes of Robot Chicken. It's been a long time since I've watched them - probably because me and Pete used to watch them together. There was also some guitar playing from both myself and Nathan.

It's really cool to have new people in school. All three new teachers seem lovely (Tori is the other newbie), Adriana is particularly funny and we have hit it off very well. Mike is kinda eccentric and reminds me a little of Charles Hawtrey from the 'Carry On' films (my Dad helped me out on the actor's name today!). I don't know Tori as well yet because she's only been here a week, but first impressions are good. Nathan and Paul are funny too - they are both from the states and will be here till Easter I think. The great thing is that they all want to go out and do stuff - so hopefully there will be more weekends away over the next few months - first planned (almost) adventure is Mindo in a couple of weeks time hopefully.

Today has been a quiet day - I've been trying to get work done, but prevarication has also been very present. I have marked a load of writing tests - I really hate this job, even though I know it's very necessary. It always makes me question myself and my subject knowledge a lot. Haven't been overly impressed by the kid's work, there is a long way to go before we do SATs in June. I really hope this is the last year that I have to do SATs. I shall collate all the English marks tomorrow to see the kid's levels, then compare them to last year's results and hope that they look sensible!!

Pete has been in my head a lot today - partly because I knew that a mutual friend was seeing him this weekend. I told a friend earlier that I was fine with the situation now and knew that the split and lack of contact was inevitable and necessary. However I guess this is not entirely true. I still really miss him loads. I know that we are both moving on with our lives and I am very happy with my life - I really am. I feel very positive about the future and excited about all the possibilities. But I wish I could share some of it with him again. I guess these moments are inevitable too - part of the grieving process.

Anyway Pete, whatever you're up to, I hope that all is going well, I sincerely do.

No comments: