Sunday 23 November 2008

Life versus work!

It seems like recently I've been going to work for a rest! I'm not complaining, I'm very happy to be getting out and about and having fun with lots of different people.

So what has Fi been up to this weekend I hear you all wondering (ha, you're turn to wonder, after my wonderings of Thursday!)

Well...I've spent the weekend praying and going to church...NOT! (If you believe that you'll believe anything!!)

After school on Friday I went and met my friend Fritha (my tenuous Norfolk link in Quito!). Fritha had just been back to Norfolk for a few weeks and collected a few things from my Mum (her Mum lives in East Harling, so this was all very easy!). I enjoyed seeing what was in the bag: a duvet set (impossible it seems to buy nice plain ones out here); cocoa powder (so I can make proper chocolate cake); saxophone reeds ( so I can have a go on the sax I've found in the music room at school); some curry spices (these were from Fritha - I have so missed curry!). Also in the bag were two Christmas presents wrapped up from my Mum and Dad. I was so chuffed - I would like to categorically state, here and now for all to see, how much I love my Mum and Dad.

I had a great time chatting with Fritha while her little boy played in the children's playground. It's lovely to have another Norfolk gal about!

On Friday night I headed up to Quito to meet up with the lovely Sarah (who I met in Canoa) and Anthony. We had many things to discuss, such as...when shall we meet in Buenos Aires? It was a lovely chilled evening and confirmed what I knew in Canoa...Sarah is wicked and we're gonna have a lot of fun together. It wasn't a late one because I was knackered and Ant and Sarah had to get up early on Saturday coz he was catching a flight home.

Saturday daytime was spent relaxing - I wandered to La Esquina (in time for the organic veg stall this week - hurray!); bought yummy veg and jam.

I then slowly made my way back nearer to home, looking into a few shops on the way and getting a few more supplies at Supermaxi.

Once home, I decided a siesta might be in order as I planned to head up to Quito again for a girly night with Sarah. I didn't actually manage to sleep but I thoroughly enjoyed lying in my bed and reading for a few hours.

Once I'd finished the book, I then thoroughly enjoyed making curry. As I've stated previously, you can't get all the spices required for a great curry out here and it is something that I have truly missed. I made quite a big one so that I can enjoy it for a good few days, happy in the knowledge it will only improve with age!!*

I continued on a cooking theme and made banana cake to take to the picnic I went to today (more of that later). I have made several banana cakes since I got here and have devised my own recipe that I am refining each time - this version had the addition of crystallized ginger.

After faffing about getting ready to go out and changing my mind fairly regularly on what to wear, I decided I was just about ready to head out. At that precise moment Katt rang and offered me a lift - hurray I thought! (This also gave me more time for clothes dilemmas!)

We headed into the mariscal and met up with Lani at Finn's. Sarah joined us there a while later with a couple of her friends from the hostel she's staying in. It was fun - we even played pool a bit - I was doing really well until I potted the black early - doh! We all had a desire for dancing and moved on to the Tequila Sunrise. I felt the need to sing 'Oh tequila, it makes me happy', on the way there.

Whilst heading there, we heard from Jim - he was on his way, so we told him to come and meet us at Tequila's.

We started to dance, then one of the guys who came with Sarah picked Lani up and put her over his shoulder - this freaked her out somewhat, especially as she's been ill for the past few days. Katt and I looked after her and we went for a bit of a wander outside. Back in Tequila we had a bit of dancing and heard from Jim again...he was heading to Finn's. I chatted to Sarah and persuaded her to meet us back there. It was a bit of a weird one because both of us had just wanted to have a giggle with each other, but we were also concerned about out respective friends (there was issues going on between the couple she'd come out with - the girl dumped the boy later that night. Also Jim seemd kinda down and we wanted to cheer him up).

Back again to Finn's - slightly squiffy! I really had a good time - was very silly with Jim; drank a couple more beers (making four bottles in total - seem to be getting better at the drinking malarchy); laughed a lot - particularly whilst attempting to play darts; danced around the pool table; chatted with lots of people; had a foolish grin on my face; gave out lots of love and positivity to my friends. It was lovely to be silly with Jim again - it's been a while and I've missed him (told him that too!)

Sarah bless her heart was trying to sort out her friends. She had a good time too though, but not quite what she'd hoped the night would be. I told her not to worry coz we are gonna have so much fun in Buenos Aires!

At 3.00am we were kicked out of the pub. We headed back to Katt's car and sang most of the way home! On arriving home I remembered about my curry...mmm curry munchies!

Sunday morning arrived too quickly, but after breakfast, coffee and a shower I felt ready for the next part of my weekend.

I'd arranged to meet up with some people from school, a mixture of teachers and a couple of the Ecuadorian staff. We all took some food for a picnic in the Parque Metropolitana. This is just near Yvette's in Quito and is a huge park with woodlands of eucalyptus trees. Lani and I arrived with Maggie and waited for Nohemy and her kids, Yvette, Lazaro (her hubby), Paul, Himmy and Cisa (their little girl), John and his kids Robbie and Maya.

Once we were all assembled, we wandered into the woods and found a perfect picnic spot.

It's been a lovely afternoon, it felt like being out with family. Everyone was really relaxed; we ate lots of delicious food; played with the kids (Robbie - 4 and Maya - 3, are particularly gorgeous); messed around with a ball. It was a lovely contrast to last night and I'm so glad that I did it. Nohemy and I have wanted to do something together for some time and today was just perfect.

My favourite moment ( out of many lovely moments) was when I went to explore with Robbie and Pablo (Nohemy's boy) - they'd told me there was a monster. It turned out there was, as John appeared from nowhere, growling! It made me jump out of my skin and laugh so much.

We stayed until a little after 5pm and then headed home. Walking back to the car, Robbie held my hand. There's something very special about having a small person's hand in yours.

So there you go, that's been my weekend. Hope you've all had a good one too. Now to the inevitable Sunday night planning and an early night me thinks (and maybe just a little more curry!)


*A note about curry:
The Witton family are huge fans of curry, we all eat it regularly. If we are getting together for an evening meal somewhere, the likelihood is that it will usually involve curry. Caro even had curry as the food at her wedding reception. Curry is an important part of life and Witton culture!

No comments: