Sunday 5 October 2008

Shopping, haircuts, meeting people & a BBQ!

That's what has happened this weekend!

Alex called early yesterday morning to see if I fancied a shopping trip to Quito - of course I said....well yes obviously, being as I'm a shopping addict! We went to Qui Centro, one of the malls. I purchased an Ecuadorian cookbook which is in Spanish and English; 3 new tops and a new haircut.

I'd decided in the past week that I was going to let my hair grow longer again - mainly because I couldn't be bothered with the faff of finding a hairdresser. However the other girlies spotted a hairdressers in the mall that they liked the look of, so we went to investigate! They all decided to have haircuts and I thought, 'There is no way I'm gonna sit and wait while they all have there hair done!' So I ended up being pampered and coiffured too! I even had my hair straightened - which feels a bit weird. I like how it looks, but think it might be a bit high maintenance for me! I'm quite intrigued to see what it looks like after I've washed it!



Today I've been to Quito again. I went on the bus all by myself - this may not sound like a big deal, but it's like another milestone in the steps of independence. I met Fritha, her husband and extremely cute little boy, for a late breakfast at The Magic Bean. It was lovely to meet someone new and I hope that I'll get to see more of her and her family once they move to Cumbaya.

After meeting Fritha, I went on to Yvette's for her birthday barbecue. Yvette's husband is Cuban, so there were some of his friends and a few other people from school. I really enjoyed myself. Even though I couldn't understand what the Cubans were saying I found it fascinating to see how they interact with each other. As the afternoon wore on, they got a lot more vocal, to the point of pretty much shouting at each other! I really like Yvette and was chuffed to have been invited.

Ben & Claire gave me a lift home which was brilliant.

This week is going to be manic:

Monday - meet Amy at the airport after school
Tuesday - staff meeting
Wednesday - Spanish, then a salsa lesson
Thursday - off to Cuenca - hurray!!!

So might not have much time to write in the next week or so.

Lastly, I had a really good chat with Pete this morning. So all in all, a really good weekend!

No comments: