Sunday 31 May 2009

Return to Canoa


Canoa - The Beach
Originally uploaded by Fiwit

Last Thursday, after a hectic week of writing reports and trying to get some last minute knowledge into the kids before their SATs this week, I made my way back to Canoa.

This time I was travelling with Adriana and we had decided that the bus was not our chosen means of transport. We went in style by plane and taxi...well in reality we got in a tiny plane and then had a very hairy taxi ride to Bahia, from which we got a boat and then another taxi to Canoa.

We giggled loudly on the plane - I was fuelled by sleep deprivation and caffeine - always a fun combination! Later we were pretty terrified in the taxi and did not enjoy the smell of the many fish factories that we passed. However we did enjoy the glimpses we saw of Ecuadorian life as we whizzed through villages.

We arrived at about 9pm to Hostel Coca Loca and got our key from Mark who recognised me from the last time I was there. Tis lovely to return to places where people recognise you and know you!

We were knackered and didn't stay out too late - well that was my plan. However when Ursula reappeared at about 2am and woke me up, we ended sitting up till about 5am putting the world to rights!

Friday morning didn't really happen for me as I finally caught up with much needed sleep, but Adri went off to the local school to show some lovely people how to teach.

The school is non-for-profit and only recently been started. Some of you may remember me talking about it before. They have had real trouble attracting teachers as they can't offer much of a wage, so it is being run by people with good intentions and not much knowledge.

Adri returned wishing that she could parcel everything up in her classroom and send it to these kids. We have decided to go shopping next weekend to buy these kids some essentials like crayons, paint and paper.

Friday afternoon was spent lolling around on the beach and having a bit of a swim.

On Friday evening we wandered into several bars and I ended up having a 'dance off' with Elizabeth (lovely owner of Coca Loca) in the middle of the street! We had quite an audience of locals (local guys) and eventually decided we had both met our match and it was a draw. It was lots of fun!!

Yesterday, I woke up thinking that even if I'd had to go home then, I stil would have felt it had been a good holiday. Another relaxing day followed, with a spot of shopping, swimming, reading and eating.

Part of me felt like I should party last night, but the rest of me was very happy to have a few beers, good conversation and a relatively early night (well about 1am, I think).

Today we mooched up to the school where they were having a fundraiser. I donated $40 and was told that this will keep two kids in the school for two months - amazing, especially considering the amount the parents pay for kids to go to our school.

This afternoon, Adri, Liz and I went for a ride along the beach. I'm still a little nervous of riding, so wasn't overly happy when cantering early on. However we soon settled into a walk with a bit of a trot every now and again. I'm glad to be getting my confidence back after all these years of not riding.

At 4pm we headed back towards the airport. I was not looking forward to the taxi from Bahia after out 'grand theft auto' journey on Thursday night. However we had a much better driver and we got to see the beautiful countryside we were travelling through. I was mightily chuffed to see deciduous trees in this part of Ecuador. I have no idea what species they were, but just their presence made me feel good.

Got back home just before 10pm, feeling relaxed, sleepy and like I've had a proper break - marvellous!

No comments: