Monday 11 May 2009

An eventful evening...

It all started well...I was test driving my friend's beetle after school to see if I want to buy it. Been craving a car again since borrowing Ben and Claire's over Easter.

Adriana and I escaped from school (after a few stalling incidents - much to Justin's amusement) and headed to Cumbaya to have a massage. The massage was incredibly good and relaxing. Feeling rather molten inside we decided to treat ourselves to sushi.

All was going brilliantly - me and the car were getting to know each other and becoming more confident in each others abilities. Additionally, Adri and I were having a very nice girly time.

We took the scenic route home...not intentionally but it was rather good and I now know even more of my local area. After I dropped her off the trouble began...

First the car started to kangaroo, then it lost power and stopped - I managed to start it again (this occurred about three times). I decided to chance it on the main road and all was going well...car was revving and accelerating away...until it stopped, on the main road and wouldn't start again. Bugger!

Luckily it was in the evening so although there was traffic haring past me, it was totally jam packed. I was scared though - Ecuadorians are not known for their careful driving and I felt very vulnerable. I called Adri to go, 'What the fuck...?' Luckily she had Peter's number so I called him. Then I had to wait for him to come and rescue me...

Large trucks and buses thundered past me; cars hooted; all I could do was sit and wait.

We tried to restart the battery with jump leads, but it was to no avail. So...what to try next...well, Peter rang Andy to see if he had a tow rope. Thankfully he did and drove out to us - who would have thought Andy would be my night in shining armour?! (Well his car is white - so I guess that's a sort of modern day white steed!)

I was too nervous to sit in the bug as it was towed, so Andy let me drive his car. The difference between the bug and the 4x4 was incredible. I felt much safer and it was really easy to drive. We took the bug to Pete's mechanic and then he drove me home - very apologetically. Finally got in at about 10pm.


No comments: