Saturday 16 May 2009

Stressed

Been thinking about why I don't write as much as I used to. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a combination of factors. Mainly that the things I do don't seem quite as exciting as when I first arrived and I'm tired.

I'm tired of the crap that bubbles not too far from the surface at school. I still enjoy my actual job of teaching the kids but the school is a frustrating place to be in. I ended up losing my temper with Justin yesterday which has never happened before, but I'm fed up. Fed up that I'm still doing SATs out here when I'd much rather be teaching other things. Annoyed that although we do them I'm told not to make too big a deal of them - I'm sorry but they are a big deal to the kids who take them and they are a big deal to me. I may not like putting kids through tests, but if I am to do it, then I will do it properly and professionally. I will prepare the kids so that they know what to expect and aren't terrified. I can't decided how much support should be provided within the tests. Back in the UK I would have readers for my lower ability kids - but here I don't know if I can trust the people who read not to tell the kids the answers. I know all of the kids are capable of accessing the tests at appropriate levels, so should I give them extra time or readers - I just don't know.

I'm pissed off that I have to write reports again in the next two weeks before I do the SATs - once a year is bad enough - thank god I've only got twelve kids. What can I write about them that I haven't already written? What can I say that hasn't already been said in meetings?

I'm unimpressed that the school sports day has been arranged for the Friday of the week that I do the SATs - this means I have to either carry them into another week or change the timetable and order of how they should be sat. Maybe I'm being too rigid in my thinking about the timetable, but it all just seems thoughtless and badly planned.

One of the things that bugs me the most is the lack of interaction and support between the primary and secondary school - we're on the same site, yet there is bugger all transition for my kids.

All schools have there problems but this one is really getting to me at the mo.

I know it's because I'm tired, stressed, homesick and fed up. Now that the end of the year is within my sight I just want to get back home and see all the people who are so important to me. I want to be recharged and renewed. I want to start thinking about my next move...wherever that may be.

Okay I think my rant is over now. Do I feel better? Yes a little.

No comments: