Saturday 22 January 2011

Return to Ecuador

I've been back in Ecuador for almost two weeks now and it is really lovely to be back. I have caught up with some good friends and still have more to see. 

In the first week back I stayed in Quito at my friend Jake's which was lovely, but I felt embarrassed by my lack of Spanish when trying to communicate with his mum. I got well fed, including trying guatita, which is cow stomach lining - no I didn't eat very much and no I won't be trying that again. I've definitely been well brought up as even after being told what it was I still tried some!

Last Friday I moved back down to Cumbaya where Ais and Adrian have very kindly said that I can use their spare room as my base. It's lovely to be here as I know my way round, but also quite strange to be two doors away from my old apartment. 

This week has been fairly exciting for two reasons. Firstly, I heard from and have arranged an interview with the school in Vietnam. Feeling quite nervous about being interviewed as it's been a while and am hoping my usual teaching interview magic still works. Of course if I get offered the job, I then have to decide if I want it. The idea of living in Vietnam is very exciting, but do I want to commit to another two years away from home? At the moment I'm not sure.

The second exciting thing was getting to see my friend Sarah and staying with her in Cuenca. We went to Ingapirca on Thursday which is the main Inca ruin in Ecuador. I found it interesting and was glad to see an area of Ecuador that I haven't been to before. It took about two and a half hours from Cuenca to get there - bus travel is much easier when your travel companion speaks fluent Spanish!


Back to Quito yesterday and saw some of the usual suspects in Ho's and Finns.

No comments: