Sunday 6 March 2011

Rio, first impressions.

Leaving Lima, I flew to Panama to get a connecting flight to Rio. This did seem fairly bonkers, but I was happy to find moisturiser form The Body Shop in the duty free (especially as I have almost run out of mine). Also, shortly before boarding the flight to Rio, I went to get some water and was persuaded to have a shot by a group of Americans who were also heading to Rio. I took both of these things as good omens that things would good in Rio.

I arrived horribly early after two nights of fairly crap sleep and made my way to my hostel (after spending some time feeling slightly paranoid that my bag was missing as it took ages to appear!). I was met by Tracey on reception, who was kind, sweet and understanding. She pointed me in the direction of breakfast and the showers.

I didn't plan to do much on Thursday and was pleased with my achievements of getting clothes laundered and finding the bank - ok so they're both within a block of the hostel, so it wasn't that difficult!

I also made my way to a supermarket where I was utterly overjoyed to find sheep and goat's cheese; soya milk and lots of lovely vegetables. More good omens.

My hostel is full of lovely people, mostly Brits and Aussies and I am very glad to be here. It is definitely much easier than northern Peru.

No comments: