Wednesday 30 March 2011

Debauchery!

On Wednesday the 24th, Jaime and I took a bus from Mendoza to Santiago, Chile. This was all meant to be very straightforward after a relatively early night. However, the 'early' night didn't quite happen and after a couple of glasses of wine in the afternoon and then one and a half very strong mojitos in the evening - I was not a well bunny. This I found truly bizarre as I have drunk far more than that and been fine. I wondered if maybe something had been added to my drink but could not understand how or where that would have happened. Anyway, the outcome of this is that I had to pack with a hangover and was fighting nausea as we waited for the bus. Annoyingly it was half an hour late - typical I thought, just when I'm trying to demonstrate to Jaime how good the buses are! 

The bus itself was very comfortable but unfortunately a combination of hangover and travel sickness meant I was rather ill again. Luckily after that I was able to sleep. 

The drive through the mountains was spectacular - parts looked like a lunar landscape. 

On arriving in Santiago we were met by a good friend of Jaime's who drove us to where we were staying. It wasn't to good, so we ventured out and found an alternative. Once happily ensconced, we did manage an early night after some yummy food.

On Thursday we wandered round our local area and bought ingredients to make curry. I was looking forward to the arrival of Kevin, Karl and Mayra - good friends from Ecuador. In the evening, the girl who picked us up and her girlfriend came over for the evening - we managed to consume five bottles of wine between us - oops! They loved the curry - phew!

On Friday I was a little baffled and sad that I hadn't heard from the guys. Later on after receiving numbers via email I managed to get hold of Kevin using skype. Turned out they had been trying to call but the people at Central Suites didn't pass on the messages and their phones were not connecting properly with Jaime's. Karl and Kevin came to pick me up and we headed out for a few beers before the U2 gig (the reason why we had all decided to meet in Santiago!). Beer turned into red wine - magical! Kevin's reasoning was that you had to get drunk before a U2 gig and he's Irish, so who am I to argue! Also in the area around and inside the gig it's not possible to buy alcohol.

The gig was amazing - Jaime and I were up in the stands, but could see the guys below us. It took me through a whole range of emotions, as good music should. They played 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and it made me think of my big sis Nic. She played that album all the time when I was small and we all loved it! I wished she was there with me. It actually made me miss quite a lot of people. The stage and lights were also incredible - it really was fantastic to be there.

After the gig I met up with the guys again and Jaime met the girlies. I was expecting some debauchery to follow, but Mayra was hungry so we ended up in MacDonald's - not quite what I was expecting, but entertaining nevertheless!

Saturday was a very emotional day, the gig the night before was what started it and hormones were also having an effect. I had a real day of feeling homesick and missing people. Talked to a few friends which helped...but it was a definite wobbly day. A little shopping therapy helped, one new dress, but no bus ticket which had been my original plan, oops!

In the evening we went out for drinks followed by a private party. The majority of the people at the party were gay which was fine by me of course...although when Kev, Karl and Mayra arrived later I did exclaim about how happy I was to see some heterosexual men - hahaha! Hilariously though, one young gay guy gave me a kiss when we were introduced and then exclaimed a lot about it being his first hetero kiss! Teehee! Afterwards (around 5am...but it was all quite blurry by this point) Jaime was up for an after party, although none seemed to be forthcoming! We ended up getting a taxi and going back to the apartment of a couple of guys, Kevin in tow. At around 6.30/7.00am me and Kev departed to pass out!

As usual after a big night, I slept for maybe three or four hours. Jaime reappeared while I was in the shower with stories of fun and calamity. His wallet had disappeared, maybe been stolen; he'd also pulled though and was happy about that! Kev was our saviour and kindly offered to loan Jaime the money to pay for the suites and a taxi to the airport. Another hungover packing session commenced. 

Once packed, I wondered what I should do. Kev took over and took me to the hostel that he used to work at. While I checked in, Kev got chatting with some of the people he used to work with and we found ourselves invited to Maria's for lunch. After we finished our liquid breakfast of a beer, we headed to her apartment. More beer followed, as did lasagne. Unfortunately lasagne takes some time to cook and make and so more beer was consumed. Wine followed again. I was hilarious and brilliantly entertaining and promptly passed out at about 6.00pm. (Which may well have been very hilarious/entertaining/a huge relief to everyone else!).

Waking at about 11pm, I was somewhat baffled by the lack of people and the apartment being in darkness. I found Kev asleep on the sofa which was a relief - sort of (bizarrely) like finding your security blanket! Turned out everyone had succumbed to sleep fairly early.

Monday dawned and we headed back to La Casa Roja, where I booked another night. We also organised to meet up with Karl, Mayra and the friends that they had been staying with. The girls wanted to go shopping, but I decided it was probably wiser to stay with the guys - well, cheaper anyway!

The drinking started again at about 1pm. It was moderate and I was pacing myself on the beer, but still, quite an early start. Again more beer and wine during the course of the afternoon. In the evening we all went back to my hostel where quite a party ensued. The guys left at about 11pm ish, which made me sad as that was my last connection with Ecuafriends. I dealt with it by requesting more beer and a guitar! After playing and singing a few numbers, a Canadian guy asked to play - he was very good and I joined in with the ones I knew! I know I made lots of mistakes, but no-one minded or noticed as they were in a similar or worse state than me!

 I think the party ended at about 6am.

Yesterday I spent most of the day in a fragile state. I think it was an accumulation of hangovers from the past couple of weeks! The highlight of the day was calling Dad on skype and making him laugh with the tales of debauchery! We also compared notes on alcohol consumption.

Today I was hoping to have a trip down to the south booked and my escape plan from Santiago hatched. But, the guy who organises the tours is having bus driver issues. I'm waiting to find out what happens. I need to leave tomorrow and get on the move. I can organise something on my own but wouldn't go to as many places. If I don't get on the tour tomorrow, I will get on a bus tomorrow night.

Although, there is another party tonight...


No comments: