Sunday 17 January 2010

New Year's Eve at Tayrona

On New Year's Eve, after a few more days chilling out in Taganga, we arrived at Tayrona National Park. We walked for about an hour through beautiful forest until we reached Arrecifes.

 
This was my first glimpse of the beach at Arrecifes and it took my breath away.

 
 La Piscina

We continued walking around beaches and through coves until we got to Cabo de San Juan where we had booked hammocks for the night. Previous experiences of hammocks that week made one a little wary, but I figured that I probably wouldn't sleep much anyway so it wouldn't matter.

During the course of the afternoon whilst sitting on the beach and doing very little, quite a few of the people I'd met in Cartagena wandered past. It was nice to see them again and I ended up playing Frisbee with some of the lads.

In the evening we discovered that if we wanted to eat we had to pay 25,000 pesos for a meal, there were no other options. So we coughed up the dosh and kept fingers crossed that it would be good.

Meanwhile there was a beach to sit on and a full moon to gaze at!

As expected the meal wasn't great and it took a long time to get served. However it was fun being with a good group of people.

As the night went on, I was waiting for the party atmosphere to get going, but unfortunately it never really did - the music just wasn't good enough. The location couldn't be faulted though and I enjoyed the sound of the sea and the sight of the moon.

I think it's the quietest NYE I've had for a very long time, not that I didn't enjoy it, but I would have liked to party more. I think I would have gone out more in Taganga if I'd realised what it would be like there.

All in all though, a great holiday where I saw many different things and had a great deal of time to relax, which was most definitely needed at the end of last term! 

I know from talking to people that Tayrona is much busier than it was 10 years ago and they haven't been happy when they've returned to it. For me, it was the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen - I really felt that I'd arrived in paradise.

No comments: