Sunday 22 March 2009

A great weekend!

I've had a really lovely weekend and thought I better catch up on here before I get into the working week!

On Friday night, I went to 'Cantos de Libertad' (Songs of Freedom) at the Coliseo Ruminahui. To be honest I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to, but my Spanish teacher, Leo, was very enthusiastic and I thought it would be good to do something different! I went with Nicki, Tom, Tori and her brother Nick. It was nice to be heading out with different people from school.

The concert was great. I found it really interesting seeing how the crowd reacted to the bands; there was a lot of screaming and cheering! (It was almost as if there were a boy band there!) Leo was thoroughly enjoying it and singing along with many of the songs.



Most excitingly, at one point I was interviewed by Ecuador's answer to Ali G (well it looked like he styled himself in that fashion). Frankly I didn't have a clue what he said to me and just hope that I don't turn up on some stupid TV show as the entertaining 'gringa' at the concert!


We headed home at about 11.30pm because we were all shattered.

Yesterday I went to Papallacta with nine other people from school. We were booked into two cabaƱas situated around private thermal baths. It was just what was needed to recharge our batteries - this was also helped by having a treatment package in the spa, which included being blasted by a high powered jet of water and having an oriental massage (based on Chinese acupressure points). Although both were a little painful at times, they also left me feeling relaxed and revived.

It was fun to be with people from work and we all had a really good laugh - often at Justin's expense, it's great having a boss who accepts you taking the piss out of him! It was also really cool to see Christine, she's always good fun.

I spent twenty four hours relaxing, eating good food and enjoying good company.

I do like spending time with the people I work with like this, but I do struggle with the idea of committing myself to spending every weekend with them. I'm not used to having such a small circle of people around me. I like to be a butterfly flitting about...I like feeling free and unpressured.

I've also been thinking more about how this term has been for me and it has been harder than the first term in a lot of ways. However I know that this usually is the term that I find most difficult, regardless of where I am.

I've made a conscious effort to shout less in my class in the past few weeks which has resulted in me and the kids having a lot more fun and them working harder. I know that I was feeling down before - for various reasons: my foot; missing people; wanting to travel; just wanting my Mum and Dad to be here; loneliness. All very valid reasons, but it affected how I was with the kids, and that's not fair on them - although they were not putting in as much effort either. However since the laughter has been much more present in the classroom, the kids have been producing much better work.

I feel like I'm going into next week feeling pretty good about things - it probably helps that there are only two more weeks of term and that Mum and Dad's arrival seems much more tangible now.

No comments: