Tuesday 24 May 2011

Lima & Lurgy!

Leaving Cusco made me very aware that although I usually meet good people, I cannot rely on them to look out for me in the same way that friends from home would. I decided Cusco had been a lesson in remembering to take care and look out for myself.

On the twenty hour bus to Lima I also became aware that I was becoming pretty sick. Blocked sinuses are really not good to have at altitude. However being on a bus for that length of time does force you to rest which I certainly needed.

Arriving in Lima I made my way to the Kokopelli hostel in Miraflores, where my friends Joanne and Matt were also staying. They had left messages that they were on a tour and I chilled until they got back.

The next few days were lovely (apart from the horrible lurgy which meant that every time I sneezed or coughed, I followed it with 'ow'. Much to Matt's amusement!). I caught up with Vanessa, my lovely Canadian friend from earlier in the trip; ate a great vegetarian buffet in an old railway carriage with a piano player; went and saw skeletons in catacombs and ate several good meals. I really enjoyed spending some more time with Joanne and Matt - it was all very chilled, exactly what was needed after Cusco.

I do feel that I didn't really give Cusco the time it deserved, but moving on meant I had time to get to Huanchaco to meet up with Ursula (great friend from Quito who has been travelling in Peru for almost two years).

Last Tuesday I got on another night bus and made my way to Trujillo and then Huanchaco.

A note about Lima:

I was surprised that I enjoyed Lima as I had had absolutely no interest in spending time there - however as with many things, I think it has a lot to do with who your with and the company was excellent!

No comments: