Tuesday 10 May 2011

Lake Titicaca

The journey to Copacabana on the shores of Lake Titicaca was one of the shortest for some time! We were slightly baffled at one point when we were told to leave the bus for safety reasons. However it soon became clear that we actually had to cross Lake Titicaca to reach our destination (this was via the Straits of Tiquina). It's quite mental seeing a big ol' bus being loaded onto a barge type thing and floating across the water.

We stayed at the Ecolodge just outside Copacabana. We had a lovely cabaƱa in the garden. The people at the hostel were very sweet and even went out to get us pizza after we'd drunk a couple of bottles of red wine. Rhian and I managed to get through a third bottle and we had a very giggly evening! However as our stay progressed, we realised that although they were very sweet, they didn't really have clue (they've only been there for about a month). For example, they made our beds but didn't empty the bins or clean the bathroom.

Copacabana was a sweet, touristy town. On our second day there we wandered around and saw various vehicles being blessed (we had arrived during one of their fiestas). I liked it because it was a place for Bolivian tourists as well as travellers. We also discovered a very naughty shop, with many lovely bags and beautiful jewellery. I actually managed to resist - shocking!

Last Tuesday we took a boat to Isla del Sol. I was quite grumpy in the morning and I think it was because of there being a feeling of unknown about the trip to the island - if I'd been on my own I don't think it would have bothered me, but as I had made the suggestion of only going for the day I think I was worried that Simon and Rhian may have been disappointed. It was a bit of a step back into the past and I didn't enjoy it - my issue though.

We trekked across the island and it was beautiful - hard at times but most definitely worth it. It also confirmed that whilst I'm happy to trek for a day, I just wouldn't enjoy a trek that was over several days. 

After this we had one last night in the hostel before heading to Puno. We were all excited about seeing the floating islands. Also Simon was much better and Rhian was improving too.

(Whilst in Copcabana, Simon and I developed quite a pringles habit!)

The bus to Puno took about three hours; the border crossing was straightforward; I was happy to be back in Peru.

At our new hostel, we were about to knock on the door when it suddenly opened and we were called 'angels' by Alfred our new host! He was brilliant and really made us all giggle - particularly me and Rhian. He was most definitely a larger than life character!!

Sadly the next day when we woke up to head to the islands, Simon was ill again, so Rhian and I set off without him. The islands were fascinating - we stopped on one and got invited into one of the women's houses - before we knew it we were being dressed in traditional costumes. The woman was quite scary and when I misunderstood something she said in Spanish, she scowled at me. There were also souvenirs to buy -it was difficult because I felt obliged to buy something but I didn't really like anything there. I settled for a small mobile in the end.

Back at the ranch, Simon was still in a bad way - I think due to the altitude. Rhian and I explored and had a nice girlie afternoon. We both hoped he'd feel better the next day as we had bought tickets to get to Cusco.

No comments: