Monday 21 July 2008

The story so far...

So...it all began about 18 months ago when my circumstances changed and I started to think about the idea of going and teaching abroad. I let the idea float around in the ether...mentioning it sometimes to friends and family.

Then, last October, circumstances changed again and I decided the time was now! I talked again to friends and family, thinking about where I might like to go...I ended up staring at a world map in a friend's kitchen and after thinking about all the places I haven't seen, I decided that South America seemed to be appealing!

At the beginning of December I saw two jobs advertised in South America, one in Ecuador and one in Brazil, so I thought I'd send off my CV, see what happened, dip my toe in the water so to speak! I got a huge shock when within 48 hours I had heard back from both and it looked like I was going to have two interviews! Blimey...that's what happens!

I was interviewed for the Ecuador job on the Thursday before Christmas (over the phone - which was very strange). I checked my emails on the Saturday and found that I had been offered the job...Oh My God!!!! I spent Christmas with my family, thinking about what I should do...

On the 2nd of January I accepted the job. (However I still had the interview for Brazil on the 6th of January to make sure I'd made the right decision - I had!). In the first few months of knowing, it only felt real when I talked to other people about it. It was very exciting and sometimes scary.

Reality hit a lot more recently when I started to sort out my visa...a bit of a nightmare...but perhaps more about that another time.

No comments: